Saturday, March 28, 2009

My Sunday


My Sunday started with a round of golf . The first two holes went triple bogey, triple bogey.  I then hit a couple of good pars and then a 9 on a par 5!  As my handicap is 6, I was out of contention big time, ten over after five!

My playing partners Joey and Pat were level par after 5 holes.  I was looking crap in comparison and not deserving of my low handicap.  I had the chipping and putting yips real bad.  Yet I managed to get going, hitting two great birdies at the end of the first nine, to leave me only eight over for the first nine.  Pat said, " Not bad a 44.  I thought you would have spat the dummy after that start.  Most other guys would have." Its funny while I do get worked up about things, I never swear or throw a tantrum when I'm playing golf.  I'm a real gent!

Joey was four over after nine and plays off five.  He's a light ammoured vehicle  commander trainer.  He was in Iraq patrolling the streets of Baghdad for six months and he is now looking forward to a stint in Afghanistan .. that's what he's trained for!  He got 220 dollars a day tax free on top of his normal salary.  For six weeks he was on leave getting pissed in London and Rome.  On duty he patrolled the streets in an open top armoured vehicle.  Bombs were going off all the time and he often exchanged fire.  One time they blasted 4000 bullets in less than 30 seconds at surrounding buildings.  

By the end of the round the previous night's drinking caught up to Joey and his score slumped to 88.

Pat is a self-employed courier around town with a couple of kids.  He's lived in Sydney but prefers Wagga because it's easier living.  There are no traffic jams here, no parking fees and nice wide easy driving.  One of his friends in Sydney drives three hours every day just for work.  I said I know all about commuter stress having lived in Tokyo and Yokohama for three years.  Pat told me he lived in Britain, a couple of months in London (Sidcup and Shepherds Bush) before moving up to near Perth in Scotland.  Him and his wife got jobs at a guest house (gardener and nanny) and spent their free time driving to places in Scotland.  

Pat finished with a respectable 79, 7 over, spot on his handicap.  Me a 85, seven over mine.

After golf I went down to the river (above) and met my family, ate lunch and played in the water.  The weather at the moment is perfect.  Everyday it is sunny with temps rising to the late 20s.  I've been trying to get down to the river most afternoons for a little swim.  At this time of year  it is the best weather you can imagine.  There are endless days of sunshine with no wind.  Nowhere on earth can be better than now by the Murrumbidgee.

After that well..  what does it matter, a read, a glass of wine, some tele and an early night.

No comments:

Post a Comment